Sunday, September 17, 2006

MERRY SUNSHINE

My husband and I have temporary custody of a four year old girl. Her mom is struggling right now, so we are keeping the child (I'll refer to her as Merry Sunshine, Merry for short) until mom gets back on her feet. I drive her to pre-school each morning on my way to work, and pick her up from a sitter each afternoon. What a joy Merry has been to us. I love driving around and listening to her sweet voice singing to me from the back seat. She makes me smile. I sing songs to her that my mother sang to me and that I sang to my own children. It's funny how the words to silly songs come back to you after so many years. "Sweet Merry Sunshine. Life has not been easy for you. I pray for the strength to keep up with you." My heart has been heavy these past few months with the loss of my middle child. He was Merry's Godfather. I hope he can see, somehow, how well Merry is doing and how much we love her. He loved her so much.

No comments: